1. What is the location of the proposed hotel?

The development would be on a 33 acre parcel very near the corner of Hutton Drive and Benedict Canyon. Access to the property currently is at the end of a narrow street called Wanda Park. There is another point of access on a narrow curving road called Oak Pass Road, with an entrance at 9712 Oak Pass Road. The developer proposes to build a third point of entry at 2534 Hutton Drive (which sits five doors east of Benedict).  The submitted application calls for knocking down 2534 Hutton and building a new road at this location, taking out the hillside behind that house.  The traffic and fire ramifications for Hutton (which is a substandard road itself), Wanda Park, and Oak Pass and all roads in that part of Benedict Canyon would overwhelming.  Click here to see the exact location on google maps.

2. Do we need to hire a lawyer?

Yes. Save Our Canyon has already retained a land use attorney. Additionally, we will have to hire land use consultants, geologists, pollution experts, environmental experts, arborists, traffic experts, and many other professionals — all to help us protect the canyon, the wildlife, and the quality of life of the residents. This is why we urge you to contribute.

3. Are my contributions tax-deductible?

Yes.  Save Our Canyon is officially incorporated and has filed application for 501(c)(3) non-profit designation.  This means that all contributors will be given a tax I.D. numbers so their donations will be tax deductible (just like any other charitable contribution).

4. How much will this cost?

The short answer is "a lot of money."  Battles to protect the zoning of a community ultimately cost many hundreds of thousands of dollars. We must raise this kind of money to begin to compete with the money that the developer will be spending on lobbyists, lawyers and others to try to push this project forward. It is unfortunate that we have to spend our money this way, but if we don’t we will not be able to fight fire with fire.

5. How can I can I get a yard sign?

Just write to us at and we will make arrangements to get you one.

6. How else can I volunteer?

We need members of the community to spread the word, help get the petition signed, show up for meetings, and stay engaged with the process. Specifically, we need volunteers to be “block captains” to help organize their immediate neighbors, promote awareness, and help fundraise. Please let us know if you are able to do any of these things or if you have specific skills you would bring to this effort.

If you have other questions, please write to us at